Friday, May 6, 2011

Yep...even those...

Tonight the kiddos had to take a bath..all 3 of them together. Mallory and Ty find themselves splashing together quite a bit, but this was a first for Kendall. Only because she is a shower girl. Kendall asked " Why do people say brown skinned people are black?" I say " That's a good question...some people say it to be unkind, others use it as a poor description, I'm not sure exactly why they are referred to as 'black'. " I go into it a little more with my understanding of history, and how in today's society we refer to 'black' people as black people or African Americans and it is accepted by and large. Isn't it funny...I don't have a good answer for it when it comes right down to it. Frustrating. Truth is I'm not really white either...kinda pink really. Back to the story...
Kendall looks at his feet, "Look at his feet, they aren't brown. Neither are his hands. We have the same hands and feet." I respond "I think that is neat. Plus..he has the cutest little toes ever!" I go on to point out many similarities: We also have the same mouth inside...on cue Ty stuck out his tongue. Our eyes are the same, just a color difference like so many others. Our blood runs red and our heart beats with each breath. " Kendall says: Our fingernails look the same color and shape too." At this point I'm feeling glad to have this dialog with my kiddo. Then Mallory points out "We even have the same colored boogers."
Yep. That too.

3 comments:

  1. this is priceless and I shared! too bad the world doesn't think like a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really Stephanie... didn't want you wondering who Brad was:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mallory is a crack up! Glad you had that conversation and teachable moment.

    ReplyDelete