Monday, January 16, 2012

Sharing The Dream

Today I woke with just one kiddo in the house, the other 2 were having a sleepover at their grandparents house. I had been thinking about this day all weekend. This MLK Day. It has always been a day of appreciation for us, appreciation for a man who showed us all that if you know it's wrong, if it doesn't sit well with your soul, then share it with any and every one who will listen, without violence, use your God given talents to communicate and do something about it. That takes EXTREME courage, and Dr. King paved the road. So this morning, with my little guy in my lap, we pulled up YouTube and listened to Dr. King's speeches. Ty enjoyed the videos, and at times I believe he either thought that we were Skyp-ing with Dr. King or he was joining in and agreeing with the message, he was anxiously sharing his thoughts with the video. I watched and listened, and today I heard his words with new ears. I will not pretend to know what it is like to suffer, for though I haven't walked without obstacles, my hurt is no comparison to those Dr. King felt led to fight for. In his We Shall Overcome speech he says" The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. They have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone." Their Freedom IS Inextricably Bound To Our Freedom...powerful. I couldn't be there then, but I am here now and I know that equality among all of God's Children is still a work in progress, and it is crucial that I continue to recognize it and help to correct it. Nearly one year ago I had the opportunity to meet 10 other families who were led to adopt, all of us from Ethiopia, meeting our sweet black boys and black girls soon to join our families as our sons and daughters. I know that Dr. King, and the others who believed in the message, helped pave our way to them. No doubt about it. I am grateful, beyond words. So here I sat, at 8:30 this morning, with my sweet little boy, his skin darker than mine, approx 230 miles from the location of his assassination, and I am so glad he shared his dream with the world!

"Deep in my heart, I do believe, WE SHALL OVERCOME. And with this faith, we will go out and adjourn the councils of despair, and bring new lite into the dark chambers of pessimism. And we will be able to rise from the fatigue of despair to the bouyancy of hope..and this will be a GREAT America!"


"I have a dream that one day,....little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."

No comments:

Post a Comment