Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

Isn't it what we pray for daily...please let this day be a good one, keep us safe and watch over our loved ones. I know that we are asking our God for help in these requests, but in the grand scheme it is man's actions we are hoping He influences right? We want the driver beside us to use his turning signal, the teacher to keep sharp scissors away from the preschoolers, the grocery clerk to pack our eggs separately (PLEASE!), and maybe even a few bigger requests like a salary increase, a free trip to the Keys and a the cleaning fairy. (Then there are the really serious prayers that I will save for another post.) And more times than not we get what we ask for, within reason of course. Unfortunately unless you are standing in a corner with a note pad there is no way to measure all of the good things that happen in a day. I've heard it said that without the bad we don't know what is good...so we must endure the 'rude' disruptions in order to have a gauge how 'good' good can be. But even then we risk getting stuck on that 'rude' thing and forget to be thankful for the smaller things in between. I think that is why we are given these 'Strangers' with a servant's heart. Those folks who find joy in giving their services, offers of kindness, seekers of everyday actions turned extraordinary.
The other night I was out to eat with my daughters and our quasi-cousins and their mom. We had been to the park, it was hot and humid and we looked pretty rough! But we were hungry so off we went to the local meat and 3. It was a slow night for them, just a handful of tables, but they had a band and chicken fried chicken so we decided to stay. The girls were laughing and dancing, acting silly really and causing us moms to roll our eyes. We were almost finished when a gentleman walked up to our table, pointed at our daughters and laid down a $20. Said he wanted to buy their meals. (We would like to think he wanted to do so b/c of how cute and well behaved they were being, not because their mothers looked like we had emptied our ashtrays to gather our last coins for dinner! However, we fear the latter!) Needless to say we were more than shocked, totally grateful and left feeling blessed. Come to find out this gentleman was known to do this sort of thing, kind of has a reputation for sharing his wealth. He's given waitresses 3 digit tips and for whatever reason insists on buying dinner for others when given the chance. I love this man. Really. That's who I want to be. I bet he doesn't stop at money though. Giving doesn't stop with money that I know. As he laid the bill down and motioned to the girls letting us know his intentions he was glad to hear our thanks but quickly moved on. He wasn't there to talk, to share some wisdom (I'm convinced he has much), or to get information. As a matter of fact, he laid the bill down, said a few words then moved on to the next table where he stopped to greet a couple of friends and then continued walking toward the door. Now that was the best, most powerful part of the whole exchange to me. He offered more than money, he offered kindness in many forms.

So here it is days later and he still has put a smile on my face. I wonder if he knows that? I hope he does. I hope we put a smile on his face! If our words of gratitude and surprise didn't do it then I hope the four bouncing, dancing angels at his feet did!
In my family we were taught to fear strangers. I just had a 'stranger-danger' talk with my girls last week. Our society spends millions on child watch/Amber Alert/school security because of our fear of strangers. Growing up we spent the day on the street in our neighborhood, bouncing from house to house with our friends. Now I don't let my 6 year old walk to my neighbors for a cup of sugar without me standing on the front porch. Is it really that bad? I remember once my mother in law saying to me that in general most people are decent and want to do the right thing. That was a huge relief to hear and made even better that someone I trusted really believed it! I try to keep that in mind, I hold tight to it when I realize my child is away from me in the hands of stranger that I'm supposed to trust because another stranger told me that I could. Then I am given a token of kindness from a man at a cafe that reminds me to stop and look at all of the good that strangers do for me and for my family everyday. I am given a moment to reflect, to relax and to enjoy the humanity around me. And I know that the next talk I have with my girls will center around ways to pay it forward, because make no mistake that is what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment