Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lucky Day

Last week was Kindergarten registration. Ugh! For parents of 5 year old kids we totally dread this milestone. Sure it's sad that they are growing up, absolutely devastating they are about to leave behind their 'baby' ways, and not to mention the hectic life of school is looming around the corner. All of those things make us cringe. But the worse part of turning 5, the most dreaded part of kindergarten isn't kindergarten at all. It is the vaccines! (insert Psycho music here) I didn't tell her about the vaccines until we were leaving for the doctor's office. She looked at me with those big round eyes and said "I don't have to do that, right?". Umm...yes, yes you do. "Why?" Well, because you are 5 and if you want to go to school you have to get these shots so that you can be healthy. "What???" (my thoughts exactly...once I said it I thought how bogus it really sounded). She quickly decided that 1. She didn't really want to go to kindergarten after all. and 2. mom isn't near as smart as she had believed. So in an effort to reestablish my authority and good standing with her I reminded her of the art of negotiating. By the time we arrived we both had determined we were agreeing to 2 shots, and 2 shots only. On the ride over Mallory had already worked out a plan for the other 3, 2 of which she would go back for in one month and the last she would do in the summertime. We shared our plan with the doctor, who approved of the plan.. and I was so proud of Mallory's 'brave' face. Then as we were waiting for her to return with the vaccines her confidence began to crumble and her negiotating skills melted into pleads of fleeing while the doctor wasn't looking. A little pep talk (bribe) convinced her to stay. She even negotiated sitting in my lap while getting the shots. The nurse was kind enough to let her do it, I on the other hand was squeezing my eyes shut so as to not go out cold at the sight of the needles!! She screamed...loudly. And for the first 15 minutes was incredulous over the whole scenario...how on earth was she supposed to ever come back for 3 more! We left the doctor's office and headed to the store where she scored 2 treats ("one for each shot" she reminded me). That night was the Health Fair at Kendall's school, and Mallory's school since we had registered that day. She was excited to participate in 'her' school's event. The girls ran around the gymnasium participating at each booth and then turned in their registrations for the free bike drawings. Kendall was fixated on the metallic pink bike with 6 gears, hand brakes and real kick stand. It was the ultimate big girl bike. It was time for the drawing and all the kids were wide eyed, hoping to hear the first few syllables of their own names. And then they said it...M-A-L-L....no way!...-O-R-Y ...OMG!!! R-O-Y .....Yay!!!! WooHoo...Yay Mallory!!! We were all so excited we jumped up and High-Fived her and everyone around us. She was totally shocked and lit up light the star she felt like at that moment. She walked over to the bike, and turned toward the crowd..everyone laughed and cheered at the sight of her very astonished, delighted and speechless little face. One of our friends said "all she needed to do was throw her arms in the air, it was like a moment of victory!" It was great! That night, during prayers Mallory said "and thank you God for my really luck day. I got two shots, two suckers, lots of stickers, I get to go to kindergarten and I got a new bike. I wonder what will happen the next time I get shots? "
Uh-oh
The Super Bike! Mallory has allowed Kendall
to ride it 'for a few months, until I learn to ride
without training wheels. Or until I get another
new bike." Ahhh..the art of negotiating!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment