Saturday, April 16, 2011

We've Come a long way baby...

I'm re-posting this, hoping the pictures will come through. The original post was to celebrate our first month together, March 28th, 2011.
It was one month ago today that we woke early in anticipation of picking up our son from his transition home and bringing him home with us forever. The day was sunny, much like today. I can remember the streets were crowded with pedestrians and I wondered as I looked out the window if any of the people who looked into our van could guess we were picking up our son, our Ethiopian son? Would they approve? What would they say to me if I could ask.
We were nervous with excitement and scared of the unknown. Our last visit with Ty hadn't been that long ago, would he remember us? Our last visit was many hours spent with a sick little baby boy who only minutes before we were to leave him for the airport decided to gift us with this beautiful, all dimples and sweetness smile. Would he greet us with a smile? Last visit he was confused along with being sick, he cried until he fell asleep. Would he want to play? Could we possibly make him as happy as our hearts so wanted?
Leaving the transition home.

Our first minutes at the guest house. No smiles..but definite curiosity.

That sweet boy was so confused.

Books were his favorite, so we read.

And so today I can say...he smiles at us all of the time. And it is like the sun warming my face and a joyful march in my heart. He reaches for me and I just want to ask him to do it again, again, again. His dad has found his ticklish spots (there are many) and his laughter delights us to no end. He is not afraid of the animals, and if the cat doesn't get afraid of him I'm scared we'll have a cat with patchy fur! He LOVES cars and makes car noises as he pushes anything with a wheel around the house. In the van he makes the same noise, we think if he sees cars he just automatically does it. The girls think he's funny and cute and noisy and all things they should think about their baby brother. Though he's not walking yet he is certainly cruising around the living room. He's got rhythm and loves to sway and bounce and rock to the beat. It's great! Today, when I asked where his nose was, he touched it ...twice. That's a B-I-G deal! He babbles and squeals and can use his eyebrows alone to ask a question. It's only been one month, I swear to you it feels like it's been longer. Not because I am exhausted (though I am most days!), but rather because it just feels so normal. We are cautious to take it one step at a time. He is so willing to go to other people, and we know we must be guarded of our bonding time with him. He has been through 3 caregivers. In his book, that's 3 mothers. He has the capacity to bond, we are certain of it as we have seen it happening with us. I can't wait to experience our relationship in 3 months...1 year...3 years. I can honestly say that my body, heart, mind respond the same way to him as they do to Kendall and Mallory. And that has surprised me. I knew I wanted a son, I knew I wanted Ty as my son, but I really prepared myself for the bonding time to go both ways...he would need time and I would need time. I think it happened on the way back to the U.S. I can remember a feeling of natural response and comfort and protectiveness and love. It just clicked. What an awesome journey we have been on .... and it's only been a month!

Here's to you Ty!

No lack of smiles here...
Daddy's little guy..they share lots of laughs together!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. The transformation, the release of stress from his little forehead, the smile is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise, it will get even better with each passing day! Before long, he will not go to anyone else. Separation anxiety will hit because no one can take the place of Mama and Daddy! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete